Pittsburgh Post-Gazette – Steelers coach Mike Tomlin had strong words for Antonio Brown, calling him “foolish,” “selfish” and “inconsiderate” and threatened swift punishment for his star receiver after a post-game video from the locker room in Kansas City was broadcast on Facebook.
In the video, Tomlin used profanities to refer to the New England Patriots. Tomlin said he regrets using the language and “sincerely” apologized “as a parent and member of the community” for the content of the video. He said Brown will be punished “swiftly” by the Steelers, in addition to any discipline or fine he receives from the National Football League, though he did not reveal what that punishment from the team might be.
“It was foolish of him to do that,” Tomlin said Tuesday at his weekly televised news conference. “It was selfish of him to do that. It was inconsiderate of him to do that. Not only is it a violation of our policy, it’s a violation of league policy, both of which he knows.
“So there are consequences to be dealt with from his perspective. We will punish him. We won’t punish us. We will do so swiftly, and we will do so internally.”
Hold on one minute.
Alright, I’m good. Serious question – how is Mike Tomlin going to punish Antonio Brown? Obviously, he’s not going to sit him on Sunday. AB is the best receiver in football. Sitting him could greatly diminish the Steelers chances of beating the Patriots even if it’s only for a few plays. Here are some of my guesses for how Mike Tomlin will punish AB:
- Mike Tomlin makes AB put his cell phone in a cardboard box every time he enters the team facility. Then, he’s not allowed to get his phone back until he leaves the facility. The same goes for when he arrives at Gillette Stadium on Sunday. (Fun fact: this tactic was used by my 11th grade history teacher. Such a bullshit move.)
- Mike Tomlin whacks AB in the ass with a wooden paddle. (Fun fact: my old high school football coach used to do this to us when we messed around at weightlifting.)
- Mike Tomlin takes AB’s hand and slaps the top of it.
- Mike Tomlin revokes his parking spot at the Steelers’ practice facility and makes him park with the rookies.
- Mike Tomlin makes AB listen to soundbites of himself at press conferences using the word “obviously” to start a sentence on loop.
- Mike Tomlin makes AB delete his Snapchat account.
- Mike Tomlin forces AB to watch his own Snapchat story from start to finish without skipping (note: they’re long af).
- Mike Tomlin makes AB delete his Facebook account.
Bottom line: This whole “punishment” thing is going to be a joke. The media is literally going nuts over this story because there isn’t anything else to talk about at this point in the season. Like I said yesterday, what Antonio Brown did wasn’t exactly smart. Rules are rules and he’s going to get fined by the NFL for violating the league’s social media policy. However, it’s not like he caught Mike Tomlin on video doing anything remotely bad, either. If people sincerely believe that this is going to give the Patriots bulletin board material, they’re fucking stupid. This is the AFC Championship game, not week 7 of the regular season. If your team needs bulletin board material at this point in the year, then they have their heads in their asses. The Super Bowl is one win away. Mike Tomlin could’ve said that he wants to bang Bill Belichick’s wife on that video, and that wouldn’t have given the Patriots or Belichick any more incentive to win this upcoming Sunday.